If you are preparing to buy a home, hiring a REALTOR® with an Accredited Buyers Representative certification (ABR) is a great step toward success….
When you select a Real Estate agent to help you purchase a home, one of the first questions you should ask is, ‘Are you a REALTOR®‘? A REALTOR® belongs to a professional board in the area he serves, abides by a code of ethics, maintains a customer-focused approach and remains current on the latest changes to real estate contract law, state law and federal legislation affecting home buying, selling and property taxes. The second question to ask is, ‘What education, training and certifications do you have’? Hiring a REALTOR® with an Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR) certification will ensure you are in good hands from the beginning of your search to the closing table and beyond.
Here are some of the things your REALTOR® with an ABR certification will do for you:
- Review and explain the purpose of a no cost, fixed timeframe Buyers Agency Agreement that creates a confidential client relationship for your home search and purchase.
- Assist you in selecting a mortgage lender who will work for you in advising you on different financing options, get you pre-approved for your home loan and work closely with you to keep you informed all the way to the closing table.
- Ensure you understand the new TRID changes in the lending process and ensure the lender you are working with is fully familiar and prepared for the new lending changes as required by the federal government.
- Educate you in the complete, end to end home buying process through to the closing table and beyond.
- Identify your needs and wants in a property and find appropriate available properties.
- Advise you on real estate market statistics of homes in your search area.
- Show you the latest trends such as absorption rates, average days on market, SP/LP (sale price/list price) ratios and more.
- Use all the MLS systems to help locate viable homes for you to view. Ensure homes you are interested in are on the market and available to show.
- Preview properties for you in advance whenever possible prior to showing.
- Help select for showing only those homes that fit your needs.
- Assist you in reviewing the pros and cons of each property.
- Aid in narrowing the search to help you identify your top choices.
- Review and disclose all available information about your top choices including information in public records, potential defects with a home and more.
- Prepare a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) so you can make the most informed decision when making an offer.
- Show you the importance of using stipulations in your offer.
- Use the ACCE Negotiation Methodology, (look for an upcoming post on real estate negotiating strategies and why you should hire a REALTOR® with training and certification in negotiating real estate transactions)
- Explain and review the complete purchase and sale agreement (contract) including exhibits.
- Obtain and review seller disclosure information with you but also explain the importance of the due diligence period and importance of performing an inspection with a certified home inspector.
- Will always use Georgia Association of Realtors (GAR) contract forms for the purchase and sale agreement and for each and every amendment and exhibit.
- Help you review and prioritize your goals.
- Give you adequate time to ‘sleep on it’ before you make an offer and ensure all your questions are answered prior to making the offer.
- A REALTOR® and ABR will provide answers from other professionals for you if he doesn’t know the answer to your questions.
- Assist you in getting the best property at the best price with the least amount of inconvenience based on current market conditions through effective negotiating strategies.
- Prepare you for multiple offer situations and develop negotiation strategies to overcome and be the winning bid.
- Recommend home inspectors, closing attorneys and other professionals.
- Be there with you during the due diligence home inspection and work closely with you in defining the list of requested repairs by the seller.
- Negotiate on your behalf for the specific repairs the seller needs to perform prior to closing.
- Monitor and communicate required contract deadlines to ensure you meet them.
- Assist in coordinating communications between the listing agent, lender, attorney, title company, appraiser and other professionals essential to keep the closing date on schedule.
- Accompany you on the final walk through prior to closing to ensure the property is in the same condition as when you entered into the contract and also ensure due diligence repairs have been properly performed.
- Review and explain the settlement statement with you prior to closing.
- Accompany you to the closing table at the attorney office; be there to resolve any last minute issues to ensure a successful closing.
- Remain a life-long trusted advisor regarding your real estate questions, needs or concerns.
While hiring a real estate agent will help you in the home buying process, selecting and hiring a REALTOR® with an ABR will ensure you have selected a professional that has taken the extra step in his education and is someone who will work FOR you and be your advocate throughout the home buying process and is someone who is in the relationship business and not just the ‘deal’ business.
About Rock Feeman:
Rock is an experienced, knowledgeable REALTOR® with Michael Carr & Associates in Jefferson, Ga. He is a member of the I-85N Board of REALTORS®. Rock is an Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR), a Seller Representative Specialist (SRS), a Certified Negotiating Expert (CNE) and a Project Management Professional (PMP). He actively supports the local NE Georgia community as a member of the Board of Directors of Jackson County Habitat for Humanity, responsible for corporate resource development and fundraising. Rock is also is a long time volunteer with the United Way of NE Georgia.
Michael Carr is the Co-Founder & COO of BrandFace, LLC. He is also a real estate branding expert and international bestselling author. As America’s Top Selling Real Estate Auctioneer, he has sold billions of dollars in commercial and residential properties.